It’s 2015 already and the days seem to run faster and faster. Before we know it it will be spring, then summer and not long after that, we’ll be looking at 2016. Let me ask you, where do you want to be when 2016 gets here? Are you satisfied with how your life is going now? If not, why not?
Many times we get in a rut to where we continue to do the things we don’t want, but it’s so comfortable because it’s a habit (rut, or familiar pathway in our brain), that we don’t step out of that rut to change what’s not working. It’s comfortable and it’s easy. Sometimes easy just feels too good, even when it’s bad. Huh?
“If we want to change our lives, we must change how we’re living.”
Sounds simple, except it’s not. Those old and comfortable habits are hard to let go. They hang on for dear life until we get determined enough to replace them with new actions. Those new actions will, if done long enough, become new habits. They will become easier and easier with time and doing.
The hardest part is getting started. Below I have outlined 8 ways to jumpstart your life. Do these and you’ll be on your way to making those necessary changes that will bring you a better life – whatever that means to you.
1) DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT: A no brainer perhaps, but you’d be surprised at how many people will jump in to something because they think it is the right thing to do. Maybe it’s what someone else wants for them, or what they think they should do. You will not put forth the effort needed if you aren’t passionate about what you’re going for. Decide what you want! What you really, really want!
2) MAKE A PLAN: Once you decide what you want, you must plan on how you can get it. Without a plan, we are just drifting along with our days leading us rather that us taking charge of our days. Most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do planning their lives. Write out a step by step action plan of what to do over the coming days, weeks, and months. Then refer to it often.
3) DON’T LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE NEDS AND NELLIES – Whenever we try to do something better with our lives, it will be inevitable that we will have well meaning friends and family try to dissuade us from doing it. Why? I don’t know. But the bigger the plans and dreams the more negativity we will encounter. Do not be discouraged by this. Ignore the naysayers.
4) SEEK AN ADVOCATE/MENTOR: While you don’t want to listen to negativity, you do want to seek out positive people who will inspire you and nudge you forward. It’s great to find an accountability partner who will be honest with you, while cheering you on to your goals. Whether a coach, teacher, or great friend, seek out someone who will walk by your side as you make positive change.
5) EXPECT SETBACKS AND DIFFICULTIES: Yep, it’s going to happen. You will never obtain anything worth having without them. Just the way it is. But look at these as blessings rather than curses. Albert Einstein said this, “In the middle of every difficulty comes opportunity.” So embrace your difficulties, grow and move on.
6) FAIL YOUR WAY FORWARD: Similar to #5, but know that things aren’t going to be perfect the first go round. You will fail a little or a lot. Remember when you first learned to ride a bike? How did it feel at first? You were wobbling all over the place and probably fell more than a few times. It was scary at first. But then what happened? You somehow seemed to miraculously just “get it.” And once you did, you never lost it. This is failing your way forward. Failure isn’t a bad word. Expect it and plow right on through it.
7) HAVE AN ATTITUDE OF GRATTITUE: You’ve heard it before, but our attitudes are tremendous factors for getting us through change. Be thankful for the opportunities, be thankful for the setbacks, be thankful for the people in your life – even those negative Nellies and Neds I mentioned. A thankful heart breeds success!
8) LAST BUT NOT LEAST IS BELIEF: Your belief that you can change is by far the most effective means of success. If you don’t believe something is possible, you can work and strive until forever and it won’t happen. Do what it takes to believe. Read inspirational material, tell yourself you can – look in the mirror and say, I CAN do this!! Belief that you can is very powerful. Always remember this.
Where will you be when 2016 arrives? I hope when the next new year arrives, you will be a brand new you and living the life that you are dreaming of today. Make it happen!! You CAN do it!